Volt dangerous for children?

CorePress2024-02-10  5

Volt dangerous for children?

At what level of voltage does it become life-threatening for an 11-year-old child?



------------------------

The current (amps) is what kills you if enough of it flows through your body. How much voltage (volts) there is is irrelevant.

The safe voltage in this regard, which does not need to be protected against direct contact with electrically conductive parts, is 25V alternating current or 60V direct current, because below these voltages in normal cases no lethal current flows through the body occur - under one important condition: it acts is a protective extra-low voltage with safe separation from higher voltage levels.

This includes, for example, appropriate safety transformers and ordinary household batteries.

But there are situations where even this is fatal (e.g. if you are bathing in the bathtub, the flow of electricity through your body stops for a long timettfinds or puts the voltage source in the mouth or swallows it).

You're probably asking because your 11-year-old child wants to discover the world of electronics.

Please do not use power supplies from any devices that are not designed for experimentation. The general rule here is: stay away from the socket!

The power from normal household batteries should be best suited here. Preferably ones with only a low current carrying capacity. So no car battery, which can turn a large open-ended wrench into a branding iron in the event of a short circuit.

The voltage source should always be such that not too much happens if it is permanently short-circuited.

The risk of fire increases with the current strength: the more potent the voltage source is in terms of current strength, the louder the bang will be if the circuit connected to it is faulty.

A 9V block battery is suitable for initial electronics experiments. The eAs a precaution, experiments should always be carried out on a fireproof surface. :)

And no connections between the experimental setup and any other devices, lines, etc.

You can do a lot with 9V and the maximum current that this battery delivers in the event of a short circuit is at the same time quite manageable.

If your child is adamant about sticking to it, there are also smaller, adjustable laboratory power supplies that can only deliver voltages and currents that are safe for hobbyists.



------------------------

Correct!

More precisely, this depends on the current density and duration of action in the body. You can't predict that based on a value.

Of course, under the same circumstances, a child will receive a higher current density than an adult. The child has less body mass, so the same current leads to a higher current density in the tissue.

But you can pretty well say that anything below 0.5mA will not cause damage in the long termsays absolutely nothing about the danger of an electric shock. What is much more important is the current strength, the type of voltage (alternating or direct voltage), the course of the current (i.e. the path through the body) and the duration of the current flow.

An electric fence can carry up to 15,000 volts of voltage , and it wouldn't be dangerous even for an 11-year-old child. However, even 100V can be absolutely life-threatening. That always depends on the factors mentioned above.



------------------------

It's impossible to say because it depends on whether it's direct or alternating voltage. What matters is how much current can flow.

You can also put a child under 1 million volts and it will At most you will feel a tingling sensation when the current is low.



------------------------

This depends on too many factors to be determined by voltage alone

Conductivity of the skin, current flow through itCardiac area, moist or dry surface, duration of exposure, direct current or alternating current, current

------------------------

Everything that does not exceed 24 volts is completely harmless, even for small children! You can't even feel this without the tip of your tongue.

The constant information along the lines of "It's all about the current strength!" are completely misleading, at least for the layperson. Of course, from a physical and medical point of view, in addition to the type of current, the current path and the time of exposure, it ultimately depends on the level of the body current. Firstly, this is practically unknown and secondly, it is not part of the properties of power sources or toys; at best, the voltage is known. The selection of toys/power sources alone is important for the layperson!

The level of the body current results from the voltage applied to the victim's body and the sum of the resistances of the circuit closed across this body, woThis also includes body resistance. At best, such connections belong to questions regarding ignition coils, electric fence technology, etc. They are not helpful for the question presented here.

Indications such as "It's all about the ampere rating" only tempt the questioner to look for labels about "amperage ratings" on various devices in his environment and only consider those to be significant from a safety perspective. They are completely meaningless.



------------------------

And then laypeople who have read somewhere that around 100 mA can be fatal come and ask whether their 5V/1A power supply isn't a brutal instrument of murder...



------------------------

When I was younger, I once worked as a craftsman. I once converted power rails with several hundred amperes of current flow with my bare hands while the system was running. The voltage was minus 4 volts to ground. Only a ground fault would have caused oneRegular fireworks, but never an electric shock.

Your guide to a better future - quark24
Your guide to a better future - quark24

categories